November 1, 2009

Reflection Educ 6712: Supporting Information Literacy and Online Inquiry in the Classroom

The most striking revelation I had about the teaching of new literacy skills to my students as a result of this course was that I need to consciously embed the teaching of these skills into my lessons and that these skills need to be explicitly taught. The reason this was a revelation for me is that many of these skills I would have never thought of integrating so deliberately into my math courses. I have learned as a result of this course that it doesn’t matter what content area I teach, it is part of my responsibility as a teacher to teach these skills within the context of my math curriculum content.

The knowledge and experience I have gained from this course will influence my teaching practices from here on. I have learned how to help my students not just use the internet but how to use it effectively. By exploring the new definition of literacy, I have learned new ways to model and teach them to my students. While developing any future lesson plans, I will keep in mind the new literacy skills that could be embedded which include: questioning, searching, evaluating, synthesizing, and communicating. The course project to develop an inquiry based unit that integrated content (math), 21st century literacy skills, and technology was a new experience for me. I have never taught a unit using these strategies before and I now plan to develop more in other units of math.

My professional development goal would be to continue to develop my own 21st century skills and literacies so that I can reflect them in my teaching practices and lessons. I want to continue to gradually redesign my classes, lessons and strategies to consciously incorporate the new literacies and technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment