January 15, 2009

Utilizing Blogs in the Classroom

How can I use blogs in my high school math classroom?

Since I don’t have any computers in my classroom, most of what I would incorporate would have to be done outside of class time as assignments or projects. I like the idea of creating a class portal as described on page 21 of our course text. “In this vein, a great entry point for Weblog use is to build a class portal to communicate information about the class and to archive course materials. From a teaching standpoint, having a place to publish the course curriculum, syllabus, class rules, homework, assignments, rubrics, handouts, and presentations makes a Weblog a powerful course management tool” (Richardson, 2006). Since I have never used blogs before, I think this is a good place to start and not only will it help inform students and parents, I could even have the students help create and update it so that they were not just receiving and using the information but they were involved in designing and making it.

I would also like to incorporate a collaborative space where students can each add information which by the end of the year could result in the creation of a useful resource around a particular theme. One idea I had about a theme is math in the real world. I feel like a huge part of my job as a math teacher is showing the students the connection and importance of math to their lives because they usually don’t see why the need to learn it, especially high school math. Instead of me feeding them examples, I think it would be great to have the students do the research or stumble upon them on their own. As they are discovered, students could post them on the class blog that could be called something like, “I Found Math………”. They would have to give a full explanation and the specific area of math it relates to. This may take a little research on their part to find the proper math terminology. They should even include links to more information they found on the internet. They could mention math they have come across in their daily lives, on the news, jobs that involve math, or even interesting trivia type math found in movies or TV. A great example I like to use is a quote from the Wizard of Oz. When the scarecrow gets his brains at the end of the movie, he starts reciting a statement about triangles. In case you don’t have the entire movie memorized like myself, he says “The sum of the square roots of any 2 sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side”. Now a student might recognize that it is math and want to post it to the blog. They may or may not need to look it up to be able to say that it is the Pythagorean Theorem, or I should say supposed to be, this is actually an incorrect math statement and I would be overjoyed if my students were able to find this one and notice the mistake. It would be great to watch the list of items on the blog grow over the course of the school year and read reactions and comments from others. Maybe other people from outside our class would add a few interesting places where they found math or maybe we could solicit people in math careers to share their experiences with us. I think it would help my students make connections and realize the importance of math or like the scarecrow mess up, it could just be an interesting trivia fact. It would be great if it could also help students beyond our classroom that read our blog.

References
Richardson, W. (2006). Blogs, wiks, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

4 comments:

  1. Vicky, I also agree that a blog is a great place to post assignments, class syllabus, class rules, etc. Unfortunately, I already have posted these items on our school website. The important thing is that this information is posted somewhere whether it be on a class blog or class website.

    I also teach math but at the middle school level. I really like your idea of having students blog about a theme such as math in the real world. I agree with you that students will learn more if they discover it themselves rather than listening to us tell them.

    I think blogging would be a great way for students to seek homework help from their peers. Students can blog "Need help on #11 on page 21" and others can provide comments, hints, suggestions on homework problems. I can also log on and provide my comments. Other students can review the comments to help them solve the problems. I haven't tried this yet with my students. I'll have to create a class blog. Not sure how that's gonna work yet, but I'm sure I'll figure it out by asking my friends and colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicky,
    Great ideas for a classroom blog! You said you do not have any classroom computers so everything would have to be outside of class as an assignment. Do you have access to a computer lab that you could use from time to time? I do not teach high school math but I have heard that there are a lot of great resources out there that encompass a large variety of math skills and concepts at all levels. This might also allow students a chance to work on the blog who may not always have access to the internet at home.
    Happy Blogging!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon,
    My school does have a computer lab but it is reserved only for programming classes and business classes, no one else has access to it unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do have a few problems with computer access. Given that the students could somehow have equal time on computers, it seems that a class wiki would be an interesting option. The students could choose an area of Math in Everyday Life that interested them, create a post, and then have the Web community, at large, add to their initial posts. They might find the activity motivating because others, besides you and their classmates, have become interested in their ideas, and as a result, they would learn more about their topic.

    I am very excited about the potential of engaging in wiki activities, can you tell:-)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete