January 11, 2009

What doesn't work for me #1 ~ Homework System

I have heard of many websites for homework help for students, but I am a teacher in need of homework help. I have been teaching for a while now and I thought I would have figured this one out by now. However, I still have not found a good homework system that works for me and that I am willing to continue using. I am constantly trying new things hoping to find something that will make this part of my job a little easier, but it seems that no matter what I try each semester, I am still overwhelmed with homework--how to assign it, collect it, mark it, keep track of it, and use it to compute part of the final grade. I normally have about 150-160 students and so the amount of homework that comes in is tremendous and I am still trying to figure out a way to stay on top of it. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Vicky, here's my system. It works for me and it may work for you. Each assignment is labeled A1, A2, A3. The "A" stands for assignment. Each assignment is tagged with a number. I like labeling the homework this way because if I need to check homework, I just say "I'm checking A5." I require the students to label the homework at the top of the paper. The students can find their homework easily. I also require the students to complete their homework in a composition book. I never ask them to tear pages out of the composition book.

    About checking homework, I always check it in class. As they are doing the warm-up, I walk around the class to check their homework. When I check that they have completed the assignment, I stamp their homework. I also check homework on days where the students are taking a quiz or test. On a quiz/test day, I tell the students the assignment that I'm checking. I have them open their composition book and place them in a specific section of the classroom. While they're taking the quiz/test, I'm grading their homework.

    As I'm checking the homework, I also carry around a booklet. The booklet contains 3 sections: attendance, citizenship, and grades. The 3 sections have papers printed with the students names. The booklet is made for each semester. This booklet is my hard copy of attendance, citizenship points and grades. Each semester I print the papers and have it binded at Kinko's. So I have a booklet for each class for each semester.

    If I collect worksheets, I try not to collect all the worksheets on the same day. Otherwise, I will feel compelled to grade it all on the same day.

    I hope my suggestions make sense to you and that you can find them helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana,
    Wow, you are organized! I want a system like yours! ;) I am still figuring things out like Vicky. I guess you have to know what assignments you will give ahead of time in order to do this? I love the idea, but this is just my second year and second different grade level. I really like your idea, do you give the students a list of assignments and what letter and # they correspond to?

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete