January 11, 2009

What does work for me #1 ~ Hidden Notebook Check

I teach high school and I don't require my students to use a specific type of notebook, I leave that up to them. I do, however, require that they do something that will keep them organized. After a full year (2 semesters) of math, they are required to take a Regents exam in order to graduate so it is very important they save all their work and stay organized. I have found that the students hate to get notebook checks, especially at the high school level, they think it is immature. Also, I feel like they need to learn how to start taking responsibility for keeping track of their own work without me having to go through their entire notebook. Something that I tried a few years ago that worked well and I still use all the time is a kind of hidden notebook check where I can make sure they have all their important work without them realizing that I am checking up on them. I set it up like a scavenger hunt game with a list of things they need to recover. I set a time limit, sometimes it is short (only a few minutes at the beginning of class) and sometimes it is a long period of time (like over winter break). The list also varies based on time allowed with only a few items on the list to a quite extensive list. Some of the things I put on the list could be as follows: the notes from a specified date, test #2, homework #15, the worksheet on solving equations, the formula sheet from coordinate geometry, etc. The students must find and hand in whatever they find (usually in a folder with their checklist) before the time is up. The more the students find and hand in, the more points they accumulate. These points are then used for a number of different things from points towards individual classwork grades to rewards such as an extra 5 points on the next exam, to entire class rewards such as a no homework night. The students seem to find it fun and they don't realize that I am making sure they save and organize their notes.

3 comments:

  1. Vicky
    I love this idea. I teach High School, Business Law, Marketing and Finance, and I struggle every semester with the notebook thing. I want them to keep one but I lose track of time, etc and forget to check them. I like the idea of a scavenger hunt and turning it into points. This sounds like one of Randy Pausch's 'head fake' learning activities. Are you familiar with him?

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicky, I like your idea. I know that you've shared it with me before. I used to do something similar. I used to do a chapter notebook check at the end of a chapter. I would give the students a checklist of the chapter's notes and homework. The students would have to find their notes and homework and assemble it in the order as indicated on the sheet. It was a good organizational tool and an easy way to get full credit to bring up their grades. The chapter notebooks were always due on the day of the test. Though I thought it was a good idea, I was swamped with chapter notebooks to grade which would takes me days. I only did the chapter notebook during my first year of teaching. I no longer conduct the chapter notebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki,

    What a great idea. When I taught high school art, I had them keep a notebook and requested a specific order for the items present. It was part of their final grade and the notebooks, literally, took hours to grade, and few were of good quality. It would be easier and effective to grade more often with your "hidden notebook" check. When I go back to keeping notebooks again, I certainly will not forget this idea.

    Thanks,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete